NolaCycle is a project aimed to create a high quality cycling map of New Orleans. Cycling maps include information beyond just streets and their names that benefits cyclists. In our map, we highlight the pavement quality, car travel speed, lane width, and special caution areas (busy intersections, man-eating potholes, or high accident areas). Volunteers help to collect this data by attending mapping events.
The information is then digitized to make a map of the data we collected to help cyclists - young, old, local, and tourist alike - navigate New Orleans.

Check out the blog for updates on the project, ways to get involved, and volunteer mapping events!

If you have questions, feel free to make a public comment on the blog entry or e-mail us directly at info@nolacycle.com.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Where are these international NolaCycle.com visitors coming from?

So I've noticed in the last couple of days there have been a lot of visitors from Europe and some from South America on my blog. The "FEEDJIT" blog traffic widget I had on there didn't tell me where you all were coming from (as in what website you visited before you visited here) because I thought that was a little silly and stalkerish, but now I'm curious. I mean, shoot, my project isn't even done yet! I should be working on the map right now, but instead I'm being a lazy before I have to drive 4 hours to Detroit to pick up a sweeeet mountain bike (I'll post pictures when I bring it home! Pictures of me tearin' the horse trails at Mom & Dad's).

So I upgraded to the fancier FEEDJIT blog traffic widget that will tell me what hip Europian bike blog is leading you to me. I think I'll e-mail that blog author a virtual high-five for promoting my project!

Anyway, I'm really super super flattered that people around the world have now heard about NolaCycle!!!! A couple of month's a ago a coworker told me he overheard someone mention my project at a wedding reception in Houston. I thought that was really awesome. I mean, Houston, shoot, that's like 5 hours from New Orleans! But France, Peru, Sweden - that's a way bigger deal than Texas (sorry Texas, but you're really not exotic). Keep those international visits coming!

And if you're planning a trip to New Orleans and were hoping my map was finished, you can still e-mail any of the team members - Lauren@nolacycle.com, Dan@nolacycle.com, Tom@nolacycle.com - and ask us for advice on getting around by bike.

2 comments:

  1. Probably most of the paris ones are me, a new orleanian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I thought we were internationally renowned...

    A bunch of people in New Orleans have been talking about doing a bike share program like the one in Paris since Velib now operates RTA. Have you heard about this?

    ReplyDelete